Friday, May 20, 2011

Cicadas!!

So here I am in Lebanon, TN and it turns out that this year is the year where all of the 13-year-cycle cicadas come out of the ground and swarm everywhere. In the trees. On the fences. Squished bug corpses covering the sidewalk. Its kind of nasty. Oh, and they make lots and lots of noise. One by itself isnt too loud, but when you've got 8000+ bugs in a single tree and you walk under it, your ears start hurting. Like you just spent 3 hours at a rock concert. The only good thing is that they are harmless, don't carry any diseases, and they are edible. (Note: Just because something is edible does not mean that eating it is a good idea.)

So I guess I am fortunate to be able to see these incredible bugs, seeing as they only come out every 13 years. A mission only lasts for 2 years, and one of them happens to be the same year that the cicadas come out. Lucky me! This earth has so many interesting things in it that you never really think about too often. I will always be grateful to my Heavely Father for giving me the opportunity to spend some time here. The Earth really is a beautiful place. One of my favorite shows to watch back home was Planet Earth. I am continually amazed at some of the creatures, scenes, and phenomena that are portrayed in it. Sometimes I wonder if we as humans will ever be able to discover it all. The Creation of this planet only gives us a small inkling of how smart God really is.

1 comment:

  1. you have sufjan stevens on the side of your blog. That's just cool.

    ReplyDelete